Free Weekly Newsletter
Free Shipping and Online Shopping Statistics
The following statistics are related to free shipping and may help you write a story about free shipping or FreeShipping.org.
- 20% of consumers say free shipping is the most important factor in where they shop online in 2012.
- 19% of consumers say they'll pay full price, if retailers offer free shipping.
- The average consumer will complete one-third of holiday shopping with online retailers in 2012.
- 11% of online shoppers say they will spend more online during the 2012 holiday-shopping season than in the previous year.
- 48% of consumers say they'll shop online in the 2012 holiday season, compared with 35% a year ago.
- A sharp increase in the number of retailers offering shipping deals for the 2010 holiday season helped boost online sales by 24% for the seven-day period through Dec. 20
- In the first quarter of 2012, 48.8% of e-commerce purchases included free shipping, the highest percentage recorded outside the holiday shopping seasons.
- The fourth quarter of 2011 saw 51.8% of orders offering free shipping, and the fourth quarter of 2010 recorded 49.3% of offers requiring no delivery fees.
- 52 percent of abandoned online shopping carts in 2011 were due to a lack of free shipping deals.
- Shoppers spend an average of 30% more when free shipping is available.
- 47% of online orders in 2011 included free shipping.
- 62% of shoppers were “somewhat likely” to cancel their online order in 2011, if free shipping wasn't available.
- For the week ending Dec. 5, 2010, the average order value for online purchases including free shipping was $125.20, as opposed to $86.58 for those without such offers.
Sources: Deloitte., MarketLive Inc., Channel Intelligence, comScore, MultiChannel Merchant, The Wharton Report